Sunday, October 25, 2009

We finally read him a book

Ever since Kai was born, I've been worrying that we don't spend as much time reading with him as we did with Jett. We used to spend hours reading books with Jett, eventually at his request. But it seems that with Kai, we never have enough free hands or free lap space to sit and read. When I remember, and when I have time, I read to Jett and Kai during lunch, while they sit in their highchairs chewing. I scarf down a sandwich during page turns. But it's hard to hold up a book, turn the pages, wipe faces, cut apples, pour milk, and eat all at the same time, so usually the book ends up on the counter in front of Jett, where he can turn the pages while I do everything else, including read. That's fine, except that Kai can't see the pictures. I was starting to wonder if Kai even knew the books had pictures.

So over the last few months we've tried to find little minutes here and there when we could read to Kai. Thankfully those few minutes are paying off. I don't know if he will come to love books as much as Jett, but at least he knows what they are and how to use them. When he plays by himself he (sometimes) goes to the books and pages through them. He has a favorite, Brown Bear, and he can request it by name, ("Brow Baa")! Most importantly, he looks at the pages at least as much as he chews them, and he hasn't yet learned that pulling them off of the shelves might be more fun than actually reading them.




No comments: