Sunday, March 20, 2011

Basketball: Taking After Uncle Nathan

For the last year, we've spent most Saturday mornings at a neighborhood park, along with four of my friends and their families, and a few other kids. The boys have cycled through t-ball, soccer, and now basketball. It seems like they're finally starting to get the hang of listening to their coach and not sitting down and asking for a snack every five minutes. Progress!

Running with his good friend, Jackson.

For me, those Saturday mornings haven't been too fun. It's been difficult to get the boys up and out of the house on Saturday mornings, and when we finally get to the gym, half the time they don't even want to be there. I spent most of my time herding them away from the foosball table and the ramp leading down to the women's bathroom (every kid loves to run down a ramp) and back in to the gym. Then when I did get them back to the gym, they usually wanted a snack. I didn't get to socialize with my mom friends like I wanted to, the boys didn't run around like I wanted them too, and by the time we got home for lunch we were all kind of crabby.

Except for Charlie. Charlie played soccer on Saturday mornings at a different park, so he felt great.

Sort of listening to Coach Bobby.

When basketball came around I told Charlie that I wasn't going to do it. Then his soccer schedule changed, so Charlie took on the role of Saturday morning basketball dad and I got the morning to myself. Hurrah!

Coach Bobby, Jackson, Jett, and Kai warming up.


Yesterday was their last basketball class, so I went to watch. I was amazed at what I saw. Jett can dribble the ball, make a pass, catch a pass, and shoot a basket. He made so many shots I couldn't believe it. He followed directions (mostly), goofed around with his coach, and had a great time running and doing the drills with his friend Jackson. As his mom, it was thrilling to watch.

Dribbling!

Kai did great too. He ran around with the older boys and stuck to Charlie like glue. Sending the boys out to basketball every Saturday was a great idea. T-ball is next. With any luck, I'll get to sit that session out too, and show up at the end again amazed by everything the boys can do.

Two points!

4 comments:

Charlie said...

By taking after Uncle Nathan, do you mean spending all his time playing foosball and running down the ramp to the women's bathroom?

Those are great pics. I particularly love the pics of Jett dribbling and shooting!

Amy said...

Thanks for the comments, Charlie!! And yes, that's exactly what I meant about Nate!

Uncle Nathan said...

Dress them up in a Mateen Cleaves jersey and they will be set!

I mean, it's not like DePaul jerseys are easy to come by...

Neat #1 said...

My favorite shot is the 2 points photo. Love it.