Ten Months!
Well, my little heart-breaker, it's been a great month for you. It's the kind of month that let's us see what is coming up next. What I mean is, you suddenly look like you might switch over from the belly slide to a true crawl. You might start eating food that isn't pureed to practically a liquid. You might sleep through the night for a few days in a row. Big stuff!
Let's talk about food. You love food. In fact, you want more of it than I realized. When I took you in for your nine-month check-up, your doctor said we needed to feed you more, and you needed the good stuff - more whole milk yogurt, for example. You'd think after Jett I would know how to pack the calories on a baby (since we had to do that for Jett), but apparently we haven't been feeding you as much as you are willing to eat. When the doctor told me to feed you more solids, I started offering you more, and wow, you can eat three baby food jars at a sitting now. Who knew you were that hungry? The only problem is, now that you've discovered the world of full-fat yogurt, you don't want anything else. Well, there's always something to wring my hands about when it comes to what my babies will eat. I'm inclined to give you as much yogurt as you want, as long as you keep eating it.
Today you ate your first Cheerio. You didn't pick it up and eat it, I put it on a spoon for you. But still, a success! It is the first bit of solid food that you haven't immediately spit out. I have to say, I appreciate the care that you took when chewing your Cheerio. I think you chewed it for about 5 minutes before swallowing it - and that is after I soaked it in water and got it all nice and mushy for you first. I love a careful chewer. No choking for you, baby. Take your time. We have all day.
Baby Kai, you are on the go. You slide yourself along your belly from one end of our condo to the other. It's so cute to watch you do it. You cross one leg over the other, and use your bottom foot to push you forward. You pull with your arms too, reaching one out straight, and using the folded arm to help push. You explore every nook and cranny of our house. You especially love the little empty space between the toy shelves and the couch. You also love to put your face against the granite floor in front of the fireplace. You scoot under chairs and the under the crib, and you can almost always get yourself out. You know how to reach under the couch for a toy, and you keep trying to push the buttons on the t.v. You love playing catch by yourself, throwing the ball and then chasing after it. You are really good at entertaining yourself that way.

But oh Kai, your pink-eye is moving through the family. Now Jett has it, and I just hope he doesn't give it back to you. We put eye drops in your eyes three times a day, and you are such a trooper. You haven't cried about it once, even when we have to hold your eyelids apart to get the drops in. I'm so impressed with your zen-like approach to these eye drops.
I love the evenings as you go to sleep. I especially love those evenings when I can sneak you off into my bedroom and rock you to sleep in there, without any interruptions from you know who. When we have peace and quiet you just snuggle right in and we stare at each others' faces. We rock back and forth until you lay your head down on my shoulder and fall asleep. It's the sweetest thing. Then I walk you through the living room and pray that Jett's squeals and bedtime protests and throwing-of-things-not-meant-to-be-thrown don't startle you awake. We walk in to your room. You stir a little and look around, and then I lay you down and you fall asleep. I walk out of the room always with a little disbelief that it is that easy.
You should know that when you wake up in the night, which is nearly every night or so, Daddy is the one who gets up with you. Sometimes you need a bottle and sometimes you don't. But he tells me that you always fall asleep to an old episode of Seinfeld. That's Daddy for ya.
Well, Kai, you keep doing what you're doing and we'll keep being amazed at every little thing. Happy birthday, Kai. We love you.



No comments:
Post a Comment