I have to say, Jett had it coming. His brazen swatting of your cheek, his pulling on your arm, his nose-to-nose attention to the tiniest details of your face. You've been watching him non-stop from day one, and you've picked up a few things. Now, for example, if Jett is in reaching distance of you, which he often is, you squawk at him to get his attention. You sound just like him, it's amazing. You "squawk!" and slap his arm. "Squawwk!" and grab his sleeve. "Squawwwk!" and swipe his neck. So far I've got him convinced that you are trying to play a game with him, so for now he is delighted. I expect his delight to last about two hours after you wake up tomorrow morning. Then he's going to teach you something else, I'm sure.
You squawk at me too! As if I need any reminding to pay attention to you! Tonight I was holding you and you squawked in my face and then you hit me! Was that really necessary? I was holding you! Sure, sure, you did it all with a smile on your face. But like I was told many times growing up, it's not what you say, it's how you say it. So let's go back to the cooing, ok? That's such a sweet way to communicate. Also, I have to trim your fingernails. Ouch!
Food. You like it smooth. I think you could eat baby food forever. Let me rephrase that. You could eat the stage 1s and stage 2s forever. Forget the stage 3s, with their tiny, soft, pasta chunks and their blending of ingredients. Pasta primavera? Forget it! I've started soaking Cheerios in water and putting them out on your highchair tray for you. You mash them up between your fingers and smear them on your thighs, but you haven't brought one to your mouth yet. When I cut one in to quarters or halves and put a piece in your mouth, you spit it right back out at me. I guess this is ok. I don't think there's anything wrong with sticking with purees for a while longer. I just wish you wouldn't look so hungry every time I bring a cookie to my lips. Playgroup is a killer for you, with all those toddlers and their snacks after snacks after snacks. You find a kid eating goldfish crackers and look at him with your big, blue, round, pleading eyes; I feel terrible not having a snack for you. But you and I both know you wouldn't even bring it up to your mouth, so could you please stop those pleading eyes until you are actually ready to eat one?
Oh yes, I know what you want. Don't think I didn't notice that I was the only mom at the bowling party who had to get out her breastfeeding cover - twice. We were only there two hours. It 's nice and all. The bonding, the comforting, the sleeping baby. Really, I like it. I like being able to sit down and snuggle with you. Your sweaty head on my arm, your sweet baby smell all around. I'm just saying that twice in two hours, at a bowling alley, during a birthday party, well, it's kind of two-month-old stuff, Kai. Not that I'm rushing you. I'm just, well, I'm just saying that next time we're at a bowling alley, try to drink your fill the first time, ok? Or start eating the Cheerios.
Ah, Kai. You understand everything I'm trying to say, right? You know I love you just the way you are, right?
Squawk!

No comments:
Post a Comment