Thursday, December 11, 2008

LMNOP and other stuff

Oh my god this kid never stops moving. And sometimes he whines for hours. Just this evening he screamed when I pulled a sock out from under the covers of his bed. Then he screamed when I put it back. Then he climbed down from his changing table to take the sock out of the bed and throw it in the hamper (at least he put it in the right place). Then he took it out of the hamper and put it back in his bed. Apparently I didn't do it right the first time.

This morning I decided that we'd get out in the stroller today. Of course, Jett had to get dressed first, which is an abomination, in his opinion. I got Kai all suited up and crammed a whailing Jett in to his snowsuit. I left Kai laying on the floor and carried screaming Jett down three flights of stairs to the waiting stroller. I deadbolted the front door of our building, left Jett in the stroller downstairs, crying, and went back up the stairs to get Kai. Sweet Kai. In the amount of time it took me to haul Jett downstairs and pack him in the stroller, Kai had fallen asleep, in his snowsuit, laying on his back on the floor.

Kai is so sweet. I carried him, still sleeping, down the stairs and when I got down to Jett, he was as awestruck with him as I was. Those long dark lashes resting on his cheeks, his little pink cheeks so relaxed. One look at Kai and Jett settled right down. One block later, both boys were asleep. Peace - as long as the stroller was moving.

Usually I spend my day trying to occupy Jett, and I'm exhausted with it. But every once in a while we hit on an activity that works. Lately I've been laying these (home made) letters out on the floor and telling Jett to stand on one or the other. He also takes the letter magnets from the fridge and matches them with the same letter. The first time we played this game it was awesome. Charlie and I sat on the couch drinking beer and holding Kai while Jett ran back and forth from letter to letter. I thought I had it made. Silly me. Now Jett always wants me to play with him, but it's not such a bad game. At leasts it's preferable to cramming him screaming in to a snow suit.

No comments: