Why has it taken me so long to write your birthday post? Because it is more fun to play with you than type on the computer. The blog is moving further and further down the priority list, no matter how badly I want to record every detail of your day.
But now Jett is sleeping and you are sitting in my lap, and it seems like a good time to recap the last 30 or so days.
What a monumental month this one has been. You are growing, babe. You're all grown out of your 0-3 month clothes, and you moved in to the size 2 diapers. Even your little socks - the only socks that stayed on your feet for the first three months - are now too small and now no socks stay on your feet. It's summer, so this wouldn't be an issue, except I seem to have handed down to you my feet. Like me, your feet always need to be covered or they get cold and clammy. I'm sorry to paint a less than desirable picture of your perfect little feet, but it's just the plain truth.

But let's move on up to your head, or namely, your neck. That strong little neck. You're doing a pretty good job of holding your head up now. Sometimes I put you in the sling or the Baby Bjorn and turn your back to my belly so you are facing out. When I do that you turn your head from side to side, looking left, right, and back again, taking it all in. What captured your attention most on our last walk, was the brick walls on the houses we walked by. I don't know why you were so enthralled with the red brick walls, but you were, and you kept your head turned to the houses and your eyes riveted on the walls as we walked past. I found this to be a relief from the constant turning of your head on my chest, which I think is going to leave a bruise on my sternum. But that's ok. I love to see you look around.

Now let's talk about drool. You are drooling all the time. Even though I don't like the look of a bib on a baby who isn't eating, I've had to disregard my fashion sense and put a bib on you every day, otherwise I have to change your shirt every hour or so because it is so damp from your drool. Wearing a bib is actually kind of handy, because you can put the edge of the bib in your mouth, and it gives you something to chew on besides your fingers. Bonus, the bibs (and your fingers) aren't plastic, so no need to worry about those pesky plastic chemicals we are only somewhat successful at avoiding. Maybe you will get teeth soon? Who knows.
Oh Kai, Kai with the lovely black hair. Your hair, my little friend, is falling out. It gathers in your sun hat and it clings to your sheets. I find it trapped in the little folds on your neck, and on the washcloth at bath time. You are no where near bald, and it seems to be an even fall out. I mean, you don't have any bald spots on your head. I just wonder what is going to grow in it's place? Will your new hair grow in curly and black again? Or will it give in and succumb to your parents' regular straight, brownish hair? Well, don't worry about it, sweet baby. Your hair is luscious no matter what it looks like, and so is everything else about you.

Like your smile, and those big blue eyes.

Your personality is still as calm as ever; you're the most laid back member of the family. Oh sure, you cry when you're hungry or tired or wet, but mostly you coo, smile, and squeal. Your squeals mimic Jett. If he squeals in a high-low-high pitch, you do the same. It's amazing, and if I've stepped out of the room for a minute, confusing.

Sometimes when I've been paying attention to Jett and you've been in the swing too long you'll squeal from the corner, just to remind us that you are in the room. We don't need the reminder that you are there, but sometimes I need a reminder that even you, peaceful baby, need a little more playtime than I am giving you. Then my heart breaks a little and I rush to your side, pick you up, and find a way to include you in whatever I am doing. The best moments are when I stop what I'm doing altogether and just play with you instead.

And now, sweet Kai, you are asleep and your brother is awake, so I must sign off. Keep growing, little guy. Happy birthday. We love you.
2 comments:
Your boys are so cute Amy! Wow. So different in their coloring. I love that about my children too. Kai is just beautiful.
Kai is so adorable Amy! I love the blue eyes and dark hair. It almost makes me want another, then reality hits when someone here starts crying!
Rebecca
Post a Comment