Monday, June 30, 2008

Get Off!

I have so many things to post about, but I will start with this:

No one told me that motherhood would ruin my toes. Seriously, do all two year olds spend the day stepping on their mother's toes? All day long? Do those two year olds where cowboy boots too?

I was reading a book about discipline the other day. I was skimming along through the pages until I was mysteriously drawn to one paragraph that actually talked about what to do when your child is stepping on your toes.

Before I go on, can we all just agree that this is one thorough book?

The book tells me that if my child is stepping on my toes, I shouldn't say, "Ow! Hey! You're stepping on my toe!" Instead I should say, calmly, "My toe hurts." Then my child will look down, realize he is stepping on my toe, and lift his foot off of mine.

There is no paragraph that tells me what to do when my son looks up at me and smiles - and just keeps standing there, right there on my toe.

No comments: