Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Boys on the Couch

Charlie went back to work on Friday. The day went fine, but we were both nervous about it. Our goal this week was that I would make it through the week without crying. It's just that so soon after pregnancy you never know what your hormones are going to do to you. And sometimes Jett cries when he wants more attention than I can give him that minute, and sometimes both boys are crying at once and it's hard to stay dry-eyed when everyone around you is in tears. But so far, so good.

Today in particular was a great day. Jett, Kai and I made it out of the house by 11:30. Better yet, we walked to the park in our new stroller. (Our home owner's insurance replaced the stroller that was stolen).

Actually on the way to the park, and while at the park, I carried Kai in a sling, which promptly put him to sleep. This totally contributed to our successful morning in that if Kai is sleeping he isn't nursing. It's pretty challenging to nurse Kai at the park and keep up with Jett. I know, because I did that yesterday, but at a smaller park, where I could keep an eye on him from one bench.

Today was different because we were at the big park. The main park. The park where a kid could get hurt, or on a really bad day, maybe even lost, and I wasn't sure how I was going to manage two kids at this park. It's ridiculous; I've traveled to all sorts of challenging places, yet this second successful trip to the park is what convinces me that I can go anywhere.

When we left the park I put Kai in the stroller, and he was still sleeping, so we went out for lunch. Jett sat in his seat. He ate all of his food. He washed is hands before eating and after eating, and didn't ask to play in the water longer than necessary. It's really these small victories that make the day - he let me dry his hands. He didn't touch the toilet.

When we got home Jett napped for over two hours and I remembered to put dinner in the oven.

Then after dinner I was treated to this.




It was a good day.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cute, cute, cute - and congratulations on a good day! I remember those days when S. and H. were both tiny.

Amy Kate

Unknown said...

If you want some help one of these afternoons going to the park let me know and I'll tag along.

Monnico said...

Was the Big Park Wicker Park? Cause I was there on Wednesday at about 1:30 with my friend Cathi and little Max. Would have been great to run into you :) I have some free time so if you need some help any time let me know.

Anonymous said...

Kai is ADORABLE!! I can SOOOO relate to your feelings at the park! Now, picture yet another child and a new 60 lb. puppy..... two sounds a lot better now, right!
Just love reading your blog, Amy. Hope you can keep it up!
Rebecca