I had the boys by myself tonight, and got Kai to bed, easy as pie. After Kai fell asleep Jett and I sat on the couch and watched Curious George. The plan was to watch one half hour show and then read books and go to bed, but when the time came for books Jett resisted. I gave in and we watched another half hour of Curious George, interrupted many times by me, reminding him that when the show was over I was not going to read him books, I was not going to tell him stories, I was not going to rub his back. He was going to go in to his room by himself and fall asleep. Right, Jett?
Of course when the time came to go in to his room he resisted that too. Charlie would have relented. He would have put on his super-hero belt, read books, told stories, and rubbed his back, and emerged bleary-eyed, an hour later, wondering where the night had gone. I had no time for that tonight, because I had to pack and do laundry and eat dinner and finish a book. So, I gave Jett a few minutes to inch closer to the bedroom, which meant crawl slowly as a snail from the couch to the chair and then climb up on to the chair to rest from all of the effort of getting there. I used my stern voice and reminded him of our agreement and you won't believe it, but that did the trick. He smiled at me, accepted the sippy cup of water that I offered him, gave me a hug and a kiss, walked into his room, shut the door, and presumably got in bed.
I was relieved for a minute. Then I realized that I had just made my two-year-old put himself to bed, and wasn't he a little young for that? I don't even have the nightlight plugged in and it's pretty dark in there (which might explain the small crash I heard after he shut the bedroom door). Do I go in to check on him? Will that make him want to get up? Should I plug in the night light? Will that make him want to get up? I don't even have the monitor on, so I can't even tell if he's singing himself to sleep tonight. Should I check on him? And what about that crash sound anyway?
I chickened out. Instead of checking on him, I thought it would be better to eat two bowls of ice cream, finish reading my book, and then got on the Internet.
I still haven't checked on him and don't even talk to me about packing.
To move on to something that makes me sound less crazy, today I taught Jett his phone number. If he sings it he can say it.
Also, Kai hasn't signed anything in days, but I think he is saying some words - mama, dada, ball, and all done. Man, he is cute. Don't I have a picture of him around here somewhere?
2 comments:
Kai look so much like his daddy!
Your posts always make me smile Amy :)
To go in or not to go in... the eternal question. I find that if I procrastinate long enough I forget to go in and before I know it it's time for the kids to wake up again.
Last night i spent an hour catching up on two months of Rock Rock Silly. It was very enjoyable - i always love to read about Jett and Kai and what you guys have been up to. Luke thought I was crazy because i kept bursting into laughter while i was reading. Thanks Amy! Hope you had a good time in Michigan. Let's catch up this week sometime.
Post a Comment