Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Kai's Birthday Party

We threw Kai a grand birthday party on Saturday. Faced with the prospect of hosting 17 people (that's just family!) in our 1100 square foot condo, Charlie and I got to work. We made a list of "must-haves" and they all fell in to place: the sun came out, Jett and Kai took their naps before hand and played well with their cousins, my sister came and helped me decorate, and the food (all from scratch, thankyouverymuch) tasted good, if I do say so myself. Charlie and I had a lot of fun, Jett loved it, and Kai was a peach. Here is the story of our day, in pictures.

Uncle Nathan, in our neat and tidy condo before the party. Those are the cupcakes on the mantle behind him, big punching balloons hanging from the ceiling, and photos of Kai strung across the windows. The big white rectangle on the wall behind the table is a homemade version of "pin the tail on the donkey" except I can't draw a donkey so this one is called "Build a Boy". It was a surprising hit with the kids. Jett was especially proud of pinning the hands and feet in the right place.

Everyone started to arrive at 4:00, and most of us and all of the kids stayed outside on the sidewalk. We brought out folding chairs for the adults and bubbles for the kids. I almost felt like I had a yard - but I also felt that maybe we should have invited all of our neighbors, since we were taking up the entire sidewalk! This little bus is Jett's favorite toy from his first birthday. At his birthday Jett ran all over the condo pushing the bus in front of him. Kai isn't walking yet, but he is one determined driver.

My sister Heather made this cute cute shirt - it has a big "1" on the front. She also brought bubble guns and a bubble machine because she knows kids, and she knows how to host a party.

We started serving dinner at 5:30. For dinner, Charlie and I made beef and chicken enchiladas with black beans, rice, and watermelon on the side. We sort of ate in shifts, to accommodate the lack of seating. After dinner we opened presents. Jett helped with the unwrapping and he didn't even mind letting Kai think the presents were for him. Here is Kai in my lap, admiring his new sporty sandals from Aunt Jenny.

Kai looked confused when we sang "Happy Birthday" to him, but who can blame him? He had 16 people singing to him! His admirers were me, Charlie, Jett, Aunt Heather, Uncle Rich, Megan, Owen, Uncle Nathan, Grandma, Grandpa, Grammy, Papa, Uncle Will, Aunt Jenny, Uncle Brian, and Ellie. Whew!

Kai also wasn't sure what to do with the candle except touch it (which is why we are holding his hands). But he did know what to do with the cupcake.


Here he is digging in before we could get the paper off the cupcake. I wanted Jett in this photo too, but he refused, and it just wasn't worth the argument. But now I regret not having a true family photo on Kai's birthday. Ah well.


That's a yellow cupcake with chocolate ganache on top. The recipe is from Amy Sedaris, which I found through Zack. I know it doesn't look like Kai likes his cupcake, but he did, he did! He devoured it, and now that I think about it, he may have eaten two. Hmm. Maybe we shouldn't have put the rum in the ganache....

At the end of the night we took Kai's new bubble machine to the school yard across the street and filled up the lawn with bubbles. Kai loved it and so did we.
On his birthday, Kai clapped, waved bye-bye and said "bye-bye" in his sweet little quiet voice. He also blew kisses, and pointed to his nose, ears, and head when we asked him to. He's one!

Here is Kai with his cousins - and another photo without Jett!

By the end of the day we were exhausted, happy, and full - and I can't wait to do it again! Happy Birthday, Kai! We love you!



4 comments:

Heather said...

It was such a fun day! Sweet Kai is a one! I can't believe it. All of the kids look so big all of a sudden. One of us needs to have another one!

Anonymous said...

It looks like all of you had a great day. (To Heather's comment) So which one of you is going to have another?

Amy said...

Ha!

Anonymous said...

happy birthday, sweet kai! congratulations,to all the johnsons, you've got yourselves a beautiful family! love, katie