Friday, October 10, 2008

Where has all the Sleep gone?

Kai,

Do you remember when you used to sleep through the night? It wasn't so long ago. From 10pm to 10am, you'd just sleep and sleep and sleep. Where did you sleep? In your co-sleeper. Pay attention, now. That part is important.

Now you only fall asleep in my arms, or in your swing. I don't know how we got to this point. I blame it, mostly, on your baby-acid-reflux. I think that's why you prefer to sleep on an incline. But that doesn't explain why you sleep better in my bed than in your bed. My bed is as flat as yours, yet reflux doesn't seem to be much of a problem when you are sleeping in my bed.

It is so sweet to see you sleep so soundly next to me and Daddy. But you see, I don't get any sleep that way. You like to sleep with your arms outstretched, and that leaves me hardly any room on the bed at all. I'm practically in the cosleeper myself - if only I could fit.

When you aren't sleeping with outstretched arms, you're sleeping with your head on my arm. This is also very sweet, for the first half hour. Then my elbow starts to get tingly and my fingers start to feel trapped, and the sweat from the back of your head starts to mingle with the sweat in the crook of my elbow, and your hair curls up in little moist curls, and I know I will miss that some day...maybe that day should be today.

Look at your sweet little self. Your cosleeper misses you. Don't you miss it too?

1 comment:

DOW FAMILY said...

Amy, I feel for you! Both my girls had reflux, like Kai's and sleep was very absent for a while! My advice, be pro-active and do whatever you have too to get some shut-eye! I love that swing he was sleeping in, I remember looking for something that Anna could sleep in, that she wouldn't fall out of, but was on an incline and felt cradled, prob. like she felt in my bed and prob. how Kai feels in your bed:)