Thursday, October 9, 2008

Main St.

We have found ourselves smack in the middle of Main Street, USA. You know, Main Street, the one that Wall Street screwed. The one where your boss hands you a paycheck and - surprise! - tells you it is your last one, because he can't afford to pay you, or any of his staff, any more.

So we are pinching pennies around here, and trying not to bite our nails down to their cuticles.

The first things to go are the extra 742 channels on our tv, internet access on our cell phones, unlimited bus rides for me and the kids during the day, and organic food. Also, disposable diapers. Kai's been in cloth diapers during the day since birth, and since I already have them, I'm trying them out on Jett again too. Hopefully they'll fit him better this time, and I'll be able to keep up with the extra laundry.

When Charlie started talking about cutting our grocery bill in half, I immediately got out the cookbooks and started looking for good sounding, inexpensive meals. Charlie, confused at first, said he already knew how to eat cheap - add pasta to everything. That's when I almost had a nervous breakdown, because this woman can not eat spaghetti and mac-n-cheese every night like her husband can. Charlie remains dubious, but he bought ingredients for four meals that I planned, and between those meals and not buying diapers, we cut our grocery bill in half, this week at least. I'll let you know later how the meals turned out, over here on Main Street.

3 comments:

Jenny said...

I hate Main street. I loath Main street. I wish I could be a better helper on Judson.

DOW FAMILY said...

ugh. hope that things look up soon!

Mike, Rebecca, Abigail, Noah and Matthew said...

Amy, Oh, please share your secret to cutting your grocery bill in half! This being our 8th year with me at home, I certainly feel your pain. I, too, would rather not eat pasta every night. Plus we have the wonderful world of lunch box/snack foods for school. Organic went out the window for us, too. I shop with a list, coupons, by the flier, and even try to skip on prepackaged items that I can package myself for school lunches. Any other tips???? Our budget seems to be one of Mike's favorite topics, and (since I'm home), I'm always the one spending it! Mike thinks he too could cut our bill in half. But then I remember this comes from a man who ate double lunches at the school cafeteria as a teacher when we first met so he wouldn't have to eat again until the next day (thus never having to grocery shop). Now, we certainly can't have that!
Rebecca