Today I took the boys with me to Millennium Park. I had to go for the Cultural Care Au Pair Scavenger Hunt and so the boys had to come too. Even though we didn't actually participate in the scavenger hunt I knew we'd have a lot of walking to do. Walking gets boring, so we brought their scooters. Also, I had read this post on this blog, which made it seem like scooters in a crowded city are a good idea, and fun.

Rule #1 for kids on scooters in downtown Chicago: Stay to the right! Stay to the right! Jett, get over to the wall! Stop. Just stop. I said, "Stop!"
...and then....
"I'm sorry about that. Please excuse us. Sorry. Sorry. Oops! Sorry."
Rule #2: Just because he brings a scooter doesn't mean he will use it. It's best to realize that to a four-year-old a scooter is really a sit-n-stand stroller with just the 'stand'. Expect to push it, with your chid standing on it, at least the last four blocks home if not more. Note: it does not matter how many things you have in your hands.
Actually though, the day was really fun. The boys zig-zagged through the crowds at "the bean". We ate a picnic lunch. We threw a ball around in the shade.
Then Jett remembered the fountains. In all my preparedness I had somehow not anticipated this. When we scooted down to it I told the boys they could go in the fountain as long as they didn't sit down in the water or get too wet. Hahahahahaha.

They got soaked and then dried off in the sun. By then the au pairs were returning from their scavenger hunt so we went back to the very large crowd at the bean and stood in the blazing heat waiting to see which team had won. The boys and I never found out though because they were having total breakdowns from lack of ice-cream.
We saved several innocent bystanders from severe scooter/ankle injuries by getting the heck out of there and going for ice-cream cones instead. Jett's flavor combination is worth mentioning: Superman and Chocolate Peanut butter in the same cone.
Then we got on our scooters (not me) and made our way back to the train. It was a good day.


Rule #1 for kids on scooters in downtown Chicago: Stay to the right! Stay to the right! Jett, get over to the wall! Stop. Just stop. I said, "Stop!"
...and then....
"I'm sorry about that. Please excuse us. Sorry. Sorry. Oops! Sorry."
Rule #2: Just because he brings a scooter doesn't mean he will use it. It's best to realize that to a four-year-old a scooter is really a sit-n-stand stroller with just the 'stand'. Expect to push it, with your chid standing on it, at least the last four blocks home if not more. Note: it does not matter how many things you have in your hands.
Actually though, the day was really fun. The boys zig-zagged through the crowds at "the bean". We ate a picnic lunch. We threw a ball around in the shade.
Then Jett remembered the fountains. In all my preparedness I had somehow not anticipated this. When we scooted down to it I told the boys they could go in the fountain as long as they didn't sit down in the water or get too wet. Hahahahahaha.

They got soaked and then dried off in the sun. By then the au pairs were returning from their scavenger hunt so we went back to the very large crowd at the bean and stood in the blazing heat waiting to see which team had won. The boys and I never found out though because they were having total breakdowns from lack of ice-cream.

2 comments:
Is that "peace" or "victory"?
What a day!
Post a Comment