Although I
will post this after I arrive and get home (and have internet connection
again), pretend this is last Friday and I am on an Amtrak train that is pulling
in to Michigan City, IN. I’m staying on until Jackson, MI where a friend of
mine will pick me up. Together we will drive the last 30 minutes or so together
to Hillsdale College where we will spend the weekend with 220 of our sorority
sisters. I expect to know about 30 of them and I can not wait to see them. It’s been almost 20 years since
we’ve been together and I am super-psyched.
I am also
hoping for three good hair days in a row because there will probably be a lot
of picture-taking and after four years of embarrassing photos in college could I please
have just one day on that campus with good hair?
Getting away
for an entire weekend wasn’t easy and my plan didn’t come together until
Wednesday night. Leaving Charlie with the boys for the weekend wasn’t a
problem. Leaving the three of them with no car, two birthday party invitations,
two soccer games, two school pick-ups, and one t-ball meeting without a car was
the problem. Finally my mom suggested the Megabus and after recoiling in horror
(no room to walk around, a bus bathroom!) I checked out Amtrak, emailed my
sorority sisters to mooch a ride from the station and a ride home, and here I am, riding along.
To prepare
for Charlie and the boys for this weekend I did the following:
1. Washed
the boys bathing suits so Charlie wouldn’t have to and then remembered that
they now swim on Mondays, not Sundays. Oh well. I also left Charlie a reminder to wash the soccer
socks the boys will need on Sunday. Oops.
2. Stocked
the fridge and cabinets with the boys favorite foods AND pre-packaged snacks
that I would normally never buy (like fruit snacks and juice boxes and Lunchables).
No wonder they like it when I leave.
3. Left
Charlie detailed instructions of the school pick-up procedure, including
leaving the “inclement weather pick-up instructions” on the front seat of the
car, pre-packing the boys’ after-school snacks in their backpacks so Charlie
wouldn’t have to remember them, and stocking the car with a fresh water bottle
since the kids are always thirsty after school.
4. Bought
and wrapped the birthday presents.
To prepare
myself for this weekend I packed (in 30 minutes) a suitcase with a broken
handle and a duffle bag without a shoulder strap and, sweaty in my winter coat,
schlepped them both a mile to the el stop. First good hair day is shot. Also I forgot my camera.
***********************************
I’m back. My weekend was awesome and I would show you pictures but my friend Beth would
kill me.
My hair looked
good for 20 minutes on Saturday, in my hotel room.
The boys
were glad to see me when I got home, but they were happier to find the Pi Phi
cookies and Hillsdale College temporary tattoos that I brought them.
I was happy to find that this survived.
It was a great weekend with fabulous people. Now, back to the grind!

1 comment:
Sounds like fun-good old Hillsdale!
Post a Comment