You are so proud to be four. Or as you like to say, “Now I am almost five!” That’s you – always thinking ahead.
Things were pretty relaxed on your actual birthday. We took a walk with your new binoculars (!) and ended up at Building Blocks Toy Store, which was having a party of their own. You took a big step and let a stranger paint a butterfly on your cheek. I was so proud! Then you went to Letizia’s for lunch with Daddy. Later that day we went to a surprise birthday party for a friend of ours. You and Kai spent the evening running around their backyard in the rain. It was a good birthday.
You also dressed yourself that day.
We had two parties for you, Jett. Two! We would have liked to combine them in to one, but the parties were supposed to be outside, and our place is too small to hold the entire guest list if it rains. And boy, did it rain.
Your first party was with your neighborhood friends and cousins at the Do Division Street Fest, where we danced to Jeanie B and the Jelly Beans. It was fun and chaotic to throw blankets on the sidewalk in the middle of a crowded street festival. Then I busted out the art project for all of your friends to do, because it seemed like a good idea to add one more distraction to an already completely distracting event. But it went pretty well and you all had fun. Jeannie B sang happy birthday to you, as did every stranger standing around us. Jeannie B told me to lift you up so everyone could see you, and I did, with some hesitation. But you were fine! Last year you wouldn’t let us sing Happy Birthday to you and this year a whole street full of strangers did as I held you up in the middle of them so they could see you better. What a day! We ate subs and bounced in the inflatable castle and danced to the music and piled your presents in the stroller after you opened them. Then the sky opened up and we crammed the cupcakes down our throats and threw the blankets in the strollers and dashed for our cars/buses/homes – and still, we all got soaked, every single guest at the party. Maybe Kai most of all, wrapped up in Aunt Jenny’s arms the entire walk home (thanks, Aunt Jenny!). The presents stayed dry of course, as did the cupcakes. We had priorities, you know.
Dancing on the bubble wrap with Christopher
Baby Colin made it!
Your second party was with your school friends, at our house. You wanted to invite your entire class, and so did we, but thank goodness we didn’t, because it rained during this party too. We had 10 kids and 9 adults (including Uncle Nathan) in our little home, and you know what? It went great. We painted t-shirts out on the fire escape and decorated sun visors on our (new!) kitchen table. Then when you all started to get a little nutty I turned on some music – the same CD that you dance to at school – and you all hopped up and started to dance! It was priceless, watching you all dance the same moves to those songs, so uninhibited and confident. I loved it. You opened presents while everyone else ate cake, and then Pete busted out his guitar and sang some songs, and then the rain stopped so we went outside to hula-hoop. As you know, you are a hula-hoop star.
Painting t-shirts
Dancing
That is a “100” candle on your cake, as you requested, because 100 is your favorite number.
Kai isn’t too bad either.
We have really spent some serious time celebrating your birthday, Jett, and you’ve loved it. You told me that each party was “the best party in the wuld.” I totally agree.
Happy Birthday, Jett. We love you.
3 comments:
happy birthday, hula-hoopstar!
My niece, Kennedy, will be five in a few weeks. She has been dressing herself for about a year. She would *HEART* Jett's outfit! One of the other mother's at montessori told my sister that she loved watching Kennedy's outfits! We love plaids and stripes!
Happy birthday, Jett! I hope I get to meet you soon!
What cute pictures! I'm so sad we missed it, but I'm glad I was able to see and read about the action here!
Post a Comment