Monday, December 14, 2009

Waiting for Colin

Right now, at this very minute, I am sitting in a dark Labor and Delivery Room while my sweet sister-in-law tries to sleep, and her steadfast husband sits in a chair next to the bathroom, trying to read in the bathroom light. Somehow I've gotten the best seat in the room - the recliner - and I hope tomorrow, when we are all telling our stories about Colin's birth, neither Jenny or Brian remember that I was the one who got the comfy chair.

This morning I flew around the house getting ready to meet Jenny and Brian at the hospital, and just before I kissed the boys goodbye I remembered that I never finished making the paper snowflake decorations for Jett's preschool holiday party tomorrow.

"Charlie!" I called from the bedroom. "The last thing I have to do before I leave is show you how to make the snowflakes!"

I left Charlie standing at the kitchen counter, one half-made snowflake in his hand, the rest of the pieces piled on the counter, Jett on a bar stool pulling all of the tape off the role, and Kai racing his cars all over the floor. Needless to say, I gave them all three quick kisses and flitted out the door without looking back.

I have a new nephew to meet! Come on out, Colin! It's been 12 hours and counting. We can't wait to meet you!

3 comments:

Krista said...

Regardless of what chair you are in, you are lucky to be invited.

Amy said...

I know! It was incredible.

Jenny said...

I sooo wish you could have come in to the surgery room. You deserved at least that--you were fantastic that day! Thank god for wonderful sister-in-laws!!