Wednesday, December 9, 2009

What I Learned Today

Even three year olds can outsmart a discipline chart.

For Jett, pushing Kai over has gone from an occasional occurance to a professional sport. In an effort to bring it back down to accident level, I created a discipline chart. I can't take full credit for this chart, because I know I got the idea from some book somewhere, but anyway, this is what I did.

I drew 3 sad faces in a row and tried to make them look like Kai. At the end of the row I drew a picture of "treats" - ice cream, candy, etc. In the next row I drew another sad face and next to that I drew a pair of scissors to symbolize arts and crafts time. In the next row I drew another sad face and then drew a picture of a T.V. Do you see where this is going?

First push, I gave him a warning. Second push, another warning. Third push, no treats. Fourth push, no arts and crafts. Fifth push, no TV. Thankfully he's never pushed more than three times in a day - the chart was working wonders and I didn't have to take away anything but treats. "Wonderful!" I thought. "Easy!" I laughed. "Too easy!" Jett replied back, in a shriek.

Yesterday Jett didn't push Kai over. Instead he dug his dirty nails into his brother's sweet cheeks and drew blood. What the ?

That discipline chart needs an obvious upgrade, Jett needs a theoretical slap-down, Kai needs a kiss, and I need to lay down the law. Laying down the law is such a drag.

4 comments:

Mike, Rebecca, Abigail, Noah and Matthew said...

Laying down the law is a real drag, Amy! Yet, it's so necessary and we do it because we love them and don't want them to grow up to be spoiled brats! We just laid down the law big time with our three tonight!! So don't feel bad!
Rebecca

Krista said...

I know there is a "three strikes" provision in the law but isn't there also a "don't pass go" kind of thing? Oh, yeah, I think it is called a felony. Maybe that is the category that blood-drawing offenses fall into. Indeed, sounds like a super drag!

Amy said...

Thanks, Rebecca! And Krista, you're right, we're way past "three strikes!"

Heather said...

A "theoretical slapdown"! You are so funny. :)