Friday, September 4, 2009

Just another evening at home

At bedtime we usually put Kai to bed first, and then once he is asleep, we send Jett to bed. It works out fine because Jett knows he has to be quiet and not wake up Kai when he slips in to bed...every time we put him to bed, which seems to be about thirty times a night.

Tonight we were out of our usual routine though, and Kai was wide awake while Jett was sleepy, so I put Jett to bed first. But of course Jett would not sleep without Kai. Jett stood in his doorway waiting for Kai, while I sat with Kai on the couch and tried to settle him (read: breastfed him. For a long time. A painfully long time. That kid is thirsty at night.). When I finally stood up to take Kai to his crib, Jett scampered in to his bed. I laid Kai in the crib, he settled right down, and I walked out of the room. Two minutes later, Kai starts wailing. I wait a minute, then walk in the room, asking Jett why Kai was crying. "Did you touch him?" I ask. He says no. "Did you shake the crib?" I ask. He says no. "Did you throw something at him?" I ask. He says no. "Then why is he crying?" I ask. He says, "Because you put him in the crib." Of course.

I thank Jett for the information, give crying Kai another hug, and leave the room again. Kai continues to cry. I sit on the couch and try to read a magazine, hoping the crying stops, but it just gets worse. Just then their bedroom door opens and Jett pokes his head out of the door frame. His little face said it all: Seriously, Woman. Do you not hear this crying? You know he doesn't want to be in that crib. Do I have to take care of everything?

No, Jett. No, you don't. I dutifully picked up Kai, watched Jett climb back under the covers, and sat down on Jett's bed, holding Kai. I sang Twinkle Twinkle Little Star to them, (and breastfed Kai - srsly, Kai, again?) in the dark, until they both fall asleep. Then I laid Kai in the crib, and walked out to a kitchen full of dirty dishes. And so it goes.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

Did I mention that you crack me up! Love your posts. Miss you guys!