Thursday, January 29, 2015

Chocolate Cake Day

Yesterday in the car on the way to school the guy on the radio told us that it was Chocolate Cake Day. The boys asked if we could have chocolate cake today and I said yes. They were so surprised.

They only have one after school club this week, which means we have lots of extra time in the evenings since we aren't rushing around. So after school we made a chocolate cake from scratch. Double-layer. We even made the frosting from scratch. It was fun and delicious and I was so proud and amazed. When we sat down for dinner the boys couldn't believe their good fortune. They were getting pizza and chocolate cake in the same night! It was a pretty awesome evening.

We had extra time this evening too. We had time to play two games of Yahtzee and one game of Sorry and there was hardly any fighting or cheating. Success! For dinner we had macaroni and cheese, vegetables, and mini hotdogs wrapped in pastry dough. (I know, but they were left overs and c'mon, it made the boys so happy.) Of course chocolate cake for dessert.

I think my favorite part of the night was when we shared "sports facts". I said Mia Hamm scored more soccer goals than any professional American male player (although I'm not entirely sure that is true). Jett rattled off about 5 Brett Favre stats, including number of attempted passes, number of completed passes, and number of touchdown passes. I looked them up online as he recited them to me. He was very close in every category.

We played the mirror game where we mimic each other's movements and Kai almost did the splits. He is really close.

Then I put them to bed and they told me they loved me. Jett wrapped my arm around him. Kai held my face in his hands.

1 comment:

Owen said...

So sweet! I wish every night could end like that!