Saturday, October 16, 2010

Shopping and a Question

Do you remember a few months ago when I did that giveaway to CSN stores? (CSN stores is a collection of online stores that sell a wide variety of products, like dining sets, pet supplies, and shoes.) They've contacted me again and asked if I'd like to review an item for them. I thought about it for a while and decided that, yes, I would like to review an item for them. This was heavily influenced by the fact that they are sending me a $40 gift certificate to put towards the purchase of any item I choose to review. I'm still deciding, but I've narrowed my choices down to two things: dishes or sheets. Exciting, right?

These are the dishes we registered for when we got married. We have an odd collection of them - something like 6 bowls, 4 mugs, 6 small plates, and 4 big plates. It would be nice to add an item or two to our collection. I was pretty surprised to see that CSN stores carries them., because they've been hard to find.

I could also go with some blue bed sheets. We have a blue comforter and blue and green curtains and...red bed sheets left over from a very poor decorating decision. It looks kind of ridiculous, but we're on a budget over here, and new sheets haven't been a priority. But if you are offering me free sheets, they might rise to the top of the list.

This got me thinking of other things we need to buy - like a bed for Kai. At 2 1/2 I think he's starting to mentally outgrow his crib. Yesterday he tried to take a nap in Jett's bed, for example. It must be frustrating for him - every morning Jett wakes up, gets dressed, and comes in to our room. A few minutes later Kai starts calling to us to get him out of his crib. When they have trouble falling asleep at night, Jett gets up and comes and talks to us. Kai is left to call to us from his crib. Kai does so many more things than Jett did at his age - Kai tags along at preschool and he plays with the four and five-year-olds on the playground, but once he's in that crib, he's back to babyhood. (Which, by the way, is fine with me. I like to have at least one of them contained at all times). In addition to this, Jett wants bunk beds. I personally am not ready for bunk beds, because I'm afraid of Jett falling down the ladder when he wakes up in the middle of the night. But I've been doing some research and I've found something called loft beds. I'm sure they're not new, maybe you all have known about them your whole life. But I just figured out what they were, which is essentially a bed on stilts - that is not as high as a bunk bed. The loft beds don't come with a lower bunk, but couldn't I put a mattress for Kai on the ground underneath the loft bed? Then Jett wouldn't be so high off the ground but it would still be fun for him, and we'd save floor space, like you do with bunk beds. Or is there a reason someone shouldn't sleep underneath a loft bed? Do you know? Seriously. If you know anything about this, please leave me a comment. I need your help.

Now, finally, after you've slogged your way through this most exciting post, here is a picture for your viewing pleasure. The boys can be very snuggly at bedtime.

2 comments:

Heather said...

I love the idea of loft beds-Owen has wanted one since Justin got one last year. Of course Justin has a couch under his loft (so cool), but you could totally do a mattress for Kai. Jett would be NUTS about that bed & maybe even get rid of his middle of the night outings to your room. I recommend the loft bed & I've been right before....I'm just sayin' :)

Anne said...

I'm pretty sure I have seen people put mattresses under the loft bed. I think it is my friend Rebecca (she has 5 kids age 5 and under!!). We got a toddler bed at Ikea but later I saw one I liked better at Target that was less $$ and I think you can use your crib mattress and bedding with it (Ikea has weird size beds, making it more expensive because you have to buy the mattress, sheets, etc).