Monday, July 28, 2008

Two Months

Happy Birthday, Kai. A whole bunch of days ago you turned two months old.

Oh Kai. We've done so many things this last month, and I haven't written about any of it. Do you think I'm not noticing your tiny details and accomplishments? Do you think I don't appreciate our busy, disorganized, happy days? I do! I do!

For example, I am currently, this very minute, bursting with the success of your nap. In other words, I'm thrilled that after many failed attempts, you've finally fallen asleep - while Jett is still asleep, no less. (Although I'm sure Jett is going to wake up any second now that I've bragged about you both napping for a few of the same minutes). And don't mind that you've only been asleep for two minutes. That's two minutes longer than our three failed attempts in the last hour.

I read that at two months old, some babies start reacting to their environment. So after Jett goes down for his nap, I draw the curtains in my room/your room, rock you in the chair, and lay you down in your cosleeper. You always wake up right away and fuss, and after just a minute or two I pick you up and comfort you and eventually start over, but I'm hoping that one of these days our routine will stick and you'll stay asleep. Today though, after our many failed attempts, I wrapped us up in the blue sling, put on a lullaby cd, and swayed you to sleep while standing in the kitchen. And here you are, still asleep, after I dare to sit down at the computer. It's all very sweet and cuddly, you wrapped up close to me, sleeping. If only it wasn't killing my back.

But I love it.

And now, my sweet baby, your brother is awake. I must type fast.

Do you know how much you've grown? Just exactly as much as your supposed to, which is just what we like in a baby. Twelve pounds, twelve ounces now, Baby Kai. You've grown out of some of my favorite onesies, and now I'm hoping you'll fit in the cosleeper until January. Today I took you out of the bassinet part of the stroller and sat you up in Jett's seat, and with a few minor adjustments, you fit. I couldn't believe it, and you loved it. Finally you could see what we were doing, instead of staring at the top of the stroller and just listening. Jett and I loved having you up and about with us this morning.

Another thing that Jett really loves about you is your over-abundance of drool and what you both can do with it. You blow bubbles with it, which Jett loves. I know he loves it because when he sees your bubbles of spit he squeals, "Bubbles, bubbles!" and runs over to you to point them out to me. Sometimes though it's just plain old drool dripping down your chin. That gives Jett the opportunity to really shine - he finds the nearest burp cloth, holds daintily on to the corner of the cloth, and gently dabs your mouth and chin to dry them off. It's very sweet, your drool and Jett's dabbing.



Oh Kai. I don't write well under pressure - the pressure of hearing Jett call to me from his crib, the pressure of trying to capture our sweet moments in one sitting at the computer. But I'll be back soon, recording your cuteness in as much vivid detail as I can.



Kiss kiss! We love you.

No comments: